Are you taking your car out of the country?
If your car has been financed under a finance agreement, you will need written permission from us to take the vehicle out of the country. Remember to order the document about two weeks before leaving for abroad. We also recommend contacting your insurance company well in advance to make sure that your car insurance covers travelling abroad.
When taking your vehicle to abroad or to Åland, you must bring with you the technical part of the registration certificate which you can order directly from Traficom’s e-Services or a vehicle inspection facility.
Permission to take a vehicle abroad can be granted for:
- Travelling in Europe (subject to the restrictions below)
- The duration of the trip (maximum 6 months)
- Permission to take a vehicle abroad is not granted for trips outside Europe.
You are entitled to get permission if:
- The monthly payments under your finance agreement are up to date
- You have valid motor liability insurance and comprehensive motor vehicle insurance policies
- Your insurance premium payments are up to date
- Your insurance covers damage to the vehicle for which permission is requested and damage to the vehicle of the other party involved in your destination.
If your destination is Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Kosovo or Turkey, please contact our Customer Service. In addition, your insurance company must provide us with a written confirmation of the validity of your comprehensive motor vehicle insurance if your insurance policy or the theft insurance included in your comprehensive insurance is not automatically valid in these countries.
Finnish motor liability insurance policies are valid in Russia after it joined the Green Card system in 2009. However, with motor liability insurance, the payout is usually low in Russia despite the Green Card system, as compensation for damage is paid out in accordance with the local laws. In order to ensure sufficient insurance cover, we may also require taking out a voluntary motor liability insurance policy.
For further information about the Green Card needed for travelling abroad, the Nordic countries excluded, please contact your insurance company or visit Insurance Centre’s website at www.vakes.fi Green Card is an international certificate of valid motor liability insurance. You can order it for free from your insurance company.
Permission to take your vehicle abroad is subject to a fee set in our tariff. Please note that if such permission is ordered and needed within the same day, you will be charged a fee set in our tariff.